Software Engineer (Mid Level) - CharlieHR
Building a company is hard, but running one shouldn’t be. Over the past decade of starting and running companies, we grew constantly frustrated by the administrative headaches that distracted us from doing what we love. In a world where the odds are already stacked heavily against you, there is too much bullshit in the way of bringing great and important ideas to life. We felt there had to be a smarter way to run companies. So we decided to create it.
Charlie is the free HR platform for small businesses that looks after all your team’s vital information - from onboarding new staff to tracking holiday, managing benefits and more. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, driven and hungry engineer to help companies focus on what matters and succeed in making their mark..
Who we are: A young but experienced team born out of The Eleven.
Learn about a couple of your potential new team-mates: Product Designer Katie and Software Engineer Neo.
Use your extensive knowledge of web development to improve CharlieHR, an application relied upon by companies everyday.
A typical week will include:
- Kick offs where you work with our product manager and designers to help plan new features. Our product planning process is lightweight and based around key conversations between product, design, and engineering.
- Pairing to implement features. As you pair, you’ll be sharing your experience with more junior developers. We’d like you to demonstrate technical leadership.
- Deploying your code regularly (we deploy multiple times a day).
- Team and company weekly meetings where we discuss strategy, provide updates and share feedback.
- Ruby: Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, Capybara
- Infrastructure: Heroku, Postgresql, Redis
- At least 3 years of professional experience working with Ruby on Rails.
- A strong understanding of how web applications work.
- A commitment to the use of best practices.
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude and enjoy receiving feedback.
- Great programming skills.
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Unlimited holidays
- Hardware budget for new starters
- Fortnightly hack days
- Monthly socials and a lunchtime talk programme.
- Enthusiastic and friendly team.
- A fast-growing startup, releasing significant new features weekly, while maintaining a sustainable working pace.
- You’ll be shaping the development of the product, the culture of this small company and team, and our technology roadmap.
- We practice Radical Candour, i.e. we encourage respectful peer-peer feedback.