Ruby on Rails Engineer - CharlieHR
Building a company is hard, but running one shouldn’t be. Over the past decade of starting and running companies, we grew constantly frustrated by the administrative headaches that distracted us from doing what we love. In a world where the odds are already stacked heavily against you, there is too much bullshit in the way of bringing great and important ideas to life. We felt there had to be a smarter way to run companies. So we decided to create it.
We’re building tools that empower entrepreneurs and small businesses to focus their time on what matters most, streamlining the burden of admin to enable the best possible chance of success. We’re beginning with any organisation’s most important asset - its people.
Charlie is a free HR platform for startups that looks after all your team’s vital information - from onboarding new staff to tracking holiday, managing benefits and more. We’re looking for a enthusiastic, driven and hungry engineers to help Charlie’s across the world to focus on what matters and succeed in making their mark.
Who we are: A young but experienced team born out of The Eleven.
Use your extensive knowledge of Ruby on Rails to improve Charlie, an in-browser application relied upon by companies everyday. A typical week will include:
- Brainstorming with the team to explore new features ones.
- Collaborating with Front End Developers to improve the current features as well as build new ones for our growing user base.
- Taking ownership of what you’re building. By that we mean taking a problem from a user perspective and working back from there.
- Learning about new technologies and discussing potential solutions to problems.
- Help crush bugs and troubleshoot problems with the whole team.
- Contributing to wider product and engineering strategy, identifying and exploring new ways to ensure our customers continue to LOVE Charlie.
- Expertise with Ruby on Rails and desire to use best practices.
- Experience building and debugging complex systems in a team environment.
- Experience with Sidekiq and Redis.
- Experience using RSpec for testing.
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude and empathy.
- Self awareness and a desire to improve your skills.
- An ambition to be the best in the world at what you do.
- A fierce belief that the best products win.
- Experience with React.js (or alike) running on Rails.
- Experience with Heroku and Postgres.
- Experience with Node.js.
- Experience in startup environments.